Lovin' our Elda Boone

Lovin' our Elda Boone
Massachusetts Boston 2012-2014

Monday, July 21, 2014

Elder Johnson and the ER

Well, this week was rather exciting! On Thursday, we had a pretty long day of meetings (Zone Conference from 8:30-5:30, and then another meeting with our ward mission leaders and bishops from 7:00-9:30; I'll touch on that a in a bit). After all of these meetings, Elder Johnson and I went home and were having "pillow talk" until like 11:30, when he mentions that he's having pretty severe heart/chest/shoulder pain. I asked him how long it's been going on, and he says, "Oh, about half an hour or so..." So after we both kinda freaked out, we hauled down to the E.R. (Luckily, we live about 10 minutes away from the UConn Health Center) Well, Elder Johnson gets checked in, and there are nurses running around like crazy, and so I couldn't really get into the room he was in. I sat outside the room for a bit-it's about midnight at this point-and realized that my hands were shaky, my face was really pale, I was kind of clammy, abnormally anxious, and my thoughts just weren't very clear. I was going into shock…When Elder Johnson's room cleared out, and I was calm enough to work properly, I went into his room and asked him what was up. Of course, he was totally calm about the whole thing. We had some good laughs and ended up staying in the ER until about 2 in the morning. It turned out that the chest/shoulder pain came from some inflamed rib tissue, and the heart pain came from an irregular heartbeat. Whether or not the heartbeat was a result of the pain from the inflamed tissue, we don't' know. He's going to be seeing a cardiologist this week to get that sorted out. As of now, though, he's doing great and we're both enjoying things.

So at Zone Conference, President Packard talked a bit about the principle of scarcity. This simply states that there is not enough supply to meet the demand, especially in business (i.e. not very many CEO jobs, and lots of potential CEO's). Economics is driven by this principle, and we as people tend to be very driven by this principle. He said that maybe this is why we as people insist on tearing others down and using dishonorable means to get ahead. We are born into a world, and indoctrinated to believe, that when good things happen to others, our worth is somehow diminished. However, in all reality (aka God's reality) the principle of scarcity doesn't exist! He has infinite amounts of everything to give, and so He can give everybody, everything! We can all have so much, and we don't have to tear anybody else down to get it! This is something of the challenge that we have to overcome in this world, among many others. Of course, President Packard did a much better job of explaining this principle and giving it some personal spin, but it certainly gave me cause to think. Huge perspective changer.

We're also working on putting together a musical fireside for our ward, and it's going to be awesome! We have some serious talent in our ward (Tamara Mumford, who just performed with the MoTab in Handle's "The Messiah," for instance), and we're going to use them to create an awesome musical event. Needless to say, we are super excited for this!

One of the youth from the Canton ward (we share a building with them) is going to be leaving on his mission on Tuesday, and his farewell was on Sunday. I was reminded of the week before I left, and I'm so grateful that I'm a better person now, than I was then. Needless to say, I've had a pretty pensive weekend... haha :P
T-Texts are this Friday, so we'll find out if Elder Johnson or I are going. Wish us luck! haha
Hope all of y'all have a good week! Catch ya on the flipside!
-"Eldah" Boone      


No comments:

Post a Comment