JUNE
9, 2014
We've
got a doozy, folks!
This week was absolutely incredible!
The Portuguese Sisters, after opening a group only 10 weeks ago, had a baptism.
It seemed that just about everything that could have went wrong, did (accompanist
didn't show, water started draining early, etc.). But we strung it together and
made it work, so it happened. There was so much work that went into this, and
we are glad to see the Lord's hand continuing to further His work.
So last P-Day was quite the adventure.
We had a party in the Sisters' backyard. This was a gnarly party-a
fire/roasting hot dogs, a pinata, a water balloon launcher, and a Chilean
wearing a horse mask/flipping a table were the highlights. Almost the entire
Zone was there, so we had tons of fun :)
A recently-returned missionary's
father came to Boston for some medical conference, and he decided that he
wanted to take us out to dinner (since Elder Motes served with his son for
something like 6 months.) He didn't just take us anywhere-we went to Fogo de
Chao, an all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse. And he dropped like $160 on us.
And it was absolutely DELICIOUS!!! :)
By far, though, the highlight of the
week was when Adolfina went to the Temple. She was baptized and confirmed
for her mother. Words cannot adequately describe the feeling that was in the
room. Adolfina was completely overcome with emotion; she wept like a child. The
Spirit was so incredibly strong, and all of the problems and difficulties we
had in making this happen, simply melted away. Adolfina said that she has never
felt such peace in her life, and that she wants to return often.
Joseph Fielding Smith, once said,
“When a man has the manifestation from the Holy Ghost, it leaves an indelible
impression on his soul, one that is not easily erased. It is Spirit speaking to
spirit, and it comes with convincing force. A manifestation of an angel, or
even of the Son of God himself, would impress the eye and mind, and eventually
become dimmed, but the impressions of the Holy Ghost sink deeper into the soul
and are more difficult to erase.”
In this recent convert, I saw a
wonderful example of '[becoming] as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient,
[and] full of love." (Mosiah 3:19) I'm not sure that Adolfina understands
exactly what happened, but I do know that she was touched by the Spirit in a
very special way. It was a humbling moment, and a testimony builder for me, to
remember that we need to follow the direction of the Spirit, even when it
doesn't necessarily make sense to do so. Little children trust so easily, and
as we place our trust in our Father in Heaven, who has our eternal welfare in
mind, we will be guided for good. I know these things in a way now, that I have
never known them before.
I know that only because of the restored
priesthood, moments like these are available in this life, and the eternities.
I'm so grateful for examples like Nephi who say, "I will go and do the
things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no
commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them
that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them," (1 Nephi
3:7) and who have the courage to be "led by the Spirit, not knowing
beforehand the things which [they] should do." (1 Nephi 4:6)
Hope
this finds all of y'all well, and I look forward to sharing some more miracles
in the coming week! Love ya!
-"Eldah"
Boone
Any
news on the UVU front? Are you applying for me, or do I need to start applying
here?
President
gives everybody permission to apply for college, so I just need to give him a
call and start soon. I just don't want to let this slip through the cracks.
It's kind of a big deal :P haha
No comments:
Post a Comment