Elder Alex Boone,
Taylor Jensen (ward member), Jian Wang (new convert), and Elder Garrett Kilgore
Hello all!!
It's great to see and hear how the Lord is hastening His
work! As I'm out here, I've come to realize just how important this
is. We are not just in the business of helping others draw closer to
Christ, but we, as the full-time Missionaries, are literally standing shoulder
to shoulder with Jesus Christ in His work and glory to save our brothers and
sisters.
Yes, transfers were this last week, and my new companion is
Elder James Beck from West Valley, Utah(r). He's our new District Leader
(making me District Mom yet again...) and he's been great. He's been out
20 months, and the way things look, he'll be here until the end of his tenure
on a Mission. President Packard did say something somewhat comforting at
Transfer Meeting, though-he said that he'd like to try to keep Missionaries in
one ward for "6, 7, 9 months" to build the relationship that he
envisions and would like. With the new influxes of Missionaries, he
hasn't yet been able to do that, but if Elder Beck and I stay together until
his last day here, I'll be guaranteed another 5-6 months here in Cambridge 1st,
and I'd be fine with that!!
The work in this ward is really starting to pick up.
We have a system where the Ward Mission collects old Ensigns, Friends, and New
Era magazines to put on an "information table" along with pass-along
cards, copies of the Book of Mormon, and other Church literature.
Yesterday, we had four non-members at Church, three of whom received a Book of
Mormon. As we continue to work with the members of our ward, we are
seeing the windows of heaven open and things are going well. Except that
we have no actual investigators right now...
But that's because we baptized him!!!!! In the
attached picture, (from left to right) is me, Taylor Jensen (the member who
baptized Jian), Jian, and Elder Kilgore. Jian's baptism was on Friday
night, just before Elder Ballard's address to the Missionaries of the Boston
Massachusetts and Manchester New Hampshire Missions.
We did get the opportunity to shake Elder Ballard's hand,
but no personal meetings, because he had another meeting with the Stake and
Ward leaders of the greater Boston area shortly after ours. But he gave
us great insights and we had many prayers answered for our ward and what we can
do better to continue unlocking the potential that is in this ward. We
were lucky enough to receive an Apostalic blessing, which included his blessing
us that all the righteous desires of our hearts would be fulfilled; now's the
time to work!!
As if all of this wasn't already spiritual enough, we had
Jian's confirmation on Sunday, and I got to stand in on the circle while Derik
Smith confirmed Jian a member and gave him a blessing of strength and continued
faithfulness in the Church. Then in Elder's Quorum, the presidency agreed
to have a Missionary Moment before class each week, and we had several people
relate their experiences, ranging from giving out a Book of Mormon to putting
little Missionary plushies in a claw machine at their office building.
Then, one of my favorite members of EQ here in Cambrige, Rich, gave us a lesson
based on part of the book "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis. In
its pages is an account of a spirit with a red lizard on its shoulder, and
how a fiery spirit helps the spirit with the lizard get rid of foresaid
lizard. C.S. Lewis puts it much better than I ever could, and I'd
recommend looking it up, because it's amazing! There are so many angles
that can be taken and so much that can be drawn from
this parable!
Elder Beck and I then got to go Home Teaching with our Ward
Mission Leader, Julio. We had the opportunity after that to go and read
scriptures with Roberta, one of the few permanent fixtures in the
ward. However, between my throbbing ribs and an oncoming migraine, I had
to go home and crash for the rest of the night. The Devil knows this
work is about to go crazy in Cambridge 1st and he also knows that I'm the only
one who knows the area. I take it as a compliment that all of that happened,
because that means our work is going to bear fruit and change lives
forever. Here's to working hard and working smart to help bring others to
a knowledge of the truth!!
Love you all!!
-Elda Alexander Jacob Boone
And yes, I got your package. Thanks :) The brace
does help somewhat while we're walking. But as far as my ribs go, they're
still hurting a lot. I keep rolling over onto them or elbowing them in
the middle of the night, so sleep hasn't come easy or in any large chunks.
Even with a migraine, I didn't get the sleep I would have liked. But I'm
blessed that I haven't had 5 or 6 migraines, considering the lack of sleep over
the past few weeks. Life is good, though!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment