Lovin' our Elda Boone

Lovin' our Elda Boone
Massachusetts Boston 2012-2014

Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St Patty's Day


 March 17, 2014
Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody!

Unfortunately, the Charles River is too frozen over for it to be dyed green, but the Irish spirit is definitely alive and well! 

I just wanted to share this super cool experience I had this last week. It was on the last bus we were going to be taking for the day. For some reason, my attention was drawn to this man sitting across the aisle and a few seats up. He was reading something, and I noticed that it was the Bible. I felt prompted to ask him if he would be interested in a Book of Mormon. At first, I tried to reason away the prompting by saying that we'd done enough work with no fruit to show for it, that it was just against social norms, and about any other excuse I could think of. But the prompting persisted, and with a phrase from Zone Conference (something about not being afraid of social norms when you contact someone) ringing in my ears, I took a deep breath, pulled out a copy of the Book of Mormon, and went up to this man on the bus. I said, "I noticed that you were reading the Bible, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in a volume of scripture that builds on and supports the Bible, proving the divinity of Jesus Christ?" His eyes just got wide and he said, "OF COURSE!" We went on to have an incredible discussion about the origins of the Book of Mormon, family history, and how the Bible and Book of Mormon work together. SO SWEET!!! And thank you, Zone Conference! If it wasn't for that comment about social norms, I honestly don't think I would have had the courage to act on this prompting. But I did, and we are hoping to begin teaching him soon! :)

Note on the guy with the mohawk at Church last week: he was passed on to the Longfellow Park Elders (a single's ward in Cambridge), and he's investigating there. Kinda frustrating, but we're all on the same team...

So Echols (I can't bring myself to call him by anything but his last name) told me about this BYUTV special where they read a letter about a man from Idaho who was going to school in Boston, and invited his entire class (almost all of different nationalities) to attend a Christmas function at the Church, but only one member of his class came. That classmate was baptized shortly thereafter. It sounds a lot like Jian's story. So maybe my first baptism made BYUTV. I like to think that it did, because Jian was something of a miracle in so many ways :) 

So here were some of my thoughts to build on the exemption/sanctification thought last week: I think that more than anything, this path of sanctification is difficult because, of necessity, we travel the parallel road of repentance. Our external circumstances may become difficult, but the inner battles of the soul-of good versus evil that happen every single day of our lives-are by far the most difficult part of this process. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said it best: "Repentance is not easy or painless or convenient. It is a bitter cup from Hell. But only Satan, who dwells there, would have you think that a necessary and required acknowledgment is more distasteful than permanent residence." He also says something about the road to discipleship always running through at least the borderlands of Gethsemane. I noticed the pattern of asking for exemption rather than sanctification in many situations of my own life. I could honestly go on for like a bajillion pages and multiple hours, but I'll just stop there. I've just had lots of thoughts about repentance, justice/mercy, and how they all interconnect, and there's really no good way to just get it all down. There's words from ancient scripture, prophets and apostles, my own musings, etc. But it's definitely enough to get you thinking, right? hahaha

Hope all of y'all have a great week! Love ya!

-"Eldah" Boone

No comments:

Post a Comment