Where
to even begin...?
This
week has been so full of spiritual insights and adventures, that I can hardly
keep up with what I want to tell you guys! I guess I'll start at the
beginning:
Elder
Echols and I got sick of listening to the same 4 CD's over and over again.
And having to pick through the approved songs on other CD's (stuff like
"Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw, "Unanswered
Prayers" by Garth Brooks, "I Believe" by Brooks & Dunn,
etc.) So we threw in a Josh Groban Christmas CD. We were listening
to it and just enjoying the fact that we were hearing something different for a
change, when I noticed a song in a way that I've never noticed it before.
We've all heard the song "Drummer Boy." If nothing else,
we remember that every other line is 'A-rum-pum-pum-pum.' Well, I finally
started to listen to the other lines of teh song. They are simply
incredible! The lines that really stuck out to me were simple, yet
profound: "I have no gift to bring that's fit to give a King! I'll play my
drum for Him, so to honor Him." (A-rum-pum-pum-pum's omitted.)
How many times do I feel like that drummer boy?! I don't have
anything to give Christ-He already has everything, so what more could I provide
that would really please Him? As President Uchtdorf said, "God the
Eternal Father did not give that first great commandment because He needs us to
love Him. His power and glory are not diminished should we disregard, deny, or
even defile His name. His influence and dominion extend through time and space
independent of our acceptance, approval, or admiration. No, God does not
need us to love Him. But oh, how we need to love God!" ("The Love of
God," October 2009). Then I remember another talk from President
Uchtdorf (still trying to find it...) that says something to the effect of,
"What could we give to God? He has everything! Well, not
quite. He doesn't have us; at least not yet." As I've made a
much more concerted effort to be as obedient as I can, especially on the
"little" things, I've seen so many blessings! Because of that
song, and Elder Holland's talk, "The First Great Commandment," I've
placed pictures of Christ all around the apartment, with the simple question,
"Do you love me?" written across the bottom. Right above my
alarm clock, I have a picture that says, "How much do you love me?"
The constant reminders to love Him more than other distractions has had a
profound effect on myself and also the other Elders in the apartment.
We
also had Zone Conference on Thursday. It was possibly the most profound
and powerful spiritual experience I've ever had outside of the Temple. We
heard from President Clayton Christensen (Yeah. Most brilliant man in the
world, business revolutionary, Harvard professor Clayton Christensen),
President Michael Haight (he makes a living off of telling Fortune 500
companies how to use their money better), and President Packard. If I
were to tell you all of the promptings and inspirations that I received in that
10-hour meeting, I would be here all week.
Speaking
of success, Elder Echols and I had a baptism yesterday! We broke the
Waterbury English curse! haha-our first contact with Michelle was on June 28th,
and she was so ready to hear the Gospel! When we were teaching her the
Plan of Salvation, she stopped us and said, "Guys, I already know this.
Nobody's ever had to tell me, and I've never read it anywhere, but I know
this stuff." Even with the 3 Kingdoms of Glory, she recognized it!
The MTC teaches you that people will simply recognize what you're
teaching, but I hadn't seen it in 8 months. Another thing the MTC teaches
you is that people will want to hear more about Prophets and Apostles on the
Earth today. Again, haven't seen that in 8 months. Until this week,
when we told a member referral (Maria) about it. She stopped us, jaw
almost to the ground, bug-eyed, and asked why she hasn't heard about this
before. We listened to "Safety for the Soul" from Elder Holland
and gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon. Again, she sat there
slack-jawed and told us about how she'd been wanting something good to read,
and how she heard a voice in her head whisper, "This is it," 3 or 4
times during our Elder Holland's talk. True to the words of President Monson
and Elder Packer, God is preparing people to hear and accept His gospel!
We just have to be in tune enough with the Spirit to know where to focus
our efforts. Elder Echols and I have a firm belief that we can have 5
more baptisms by the time he goes home in October. It will be tough, but
"with God, nothing shall be impossible." (Luke 1:37)
Each
day as Elder Echols and I teach these honest seekers of truth, my testimony is
strengthened. This is God's work, and His hand is absolutely in it-no if's,
and's, or but's. The groundbreaking for a temple in Hartford, CT
will be on Saturday, and this seems very puzzling to people, since the
temples in New York and Boston range from undermanned to nearly empty.
However, several local Stake Presidents, when asking in sincere prayer as
to why God sees fit to build a temple here, received the same answer that our
Mission Presidency has: something is coming. I'm so glad to be a part of
this work and to be here in Connecticut to be a part of the wonderful work of
the Lord that is coming. I love you guys and hope all is well!
-Elda
Alex Boone
Here is a picture of me, Michelle, Elder Echols, and Brother Deutsch, who found
Michelle for us :)

No comments:
Post a Comment