Hello everybody!
This week was so full of ups and downs! The emotional rollercoaster simply doesn't stop, especially when you're tired. Let me explain...
There's a former investigator here in the Cambridge 1st Ward named Phil. He's famous for being so genuinely interested, then flaking out on a baptismal date. Elder Beck and I had the opportunity to meet with him on Monday, and he looked both of us straight in the face and said, "I believe this is the true Church." He then proceeded to tell us about the struggles he had to overcome to continue learning about the Church (really quite incredible, by the way) Everything from a hostile mother (who he used Church literature with to help her understand that the Church isn't a cult) to a house fire destroying his Book of Mormon, yet he still sought out the truth. He had a printed copy of 2 Nephi chapter 5 in his pocket that he got from lds.org, his "favorite website." Not only was Phil ready to resume official investigating, but also to finally be baptized. He said that he'd pray about his date and come to Conference (with his once-hostile mother), ready to tell us when he's ready for baptism. Sunday morning, we wake up to a voicemail from Phil, telling us that he feels he is simply not worthy of baptism into the Lord's church and we shouldn't waste our time with him. ........ Yeah. It kinda sucks. We're going to continue to reach out to him in as many ways as we can to help him continue his journey to Christ.
Other than that, Conference was a FANTASTIC experience! There was an especial focus on Missionary Work (or was that just me?) and service. Might I also add that the Longfellow Park chapel in Cambridge, MA (the one that Henry B. Eyring mentioned) is one that I routinely visit. And the blogs that were mentioned in Boston are actually the digital Mission that President Packard is trying so hard to emphasize. (Yes, Mom, when I heard the word 'Boston' mentioned, I heard you freak out all the way across the country. Every Missionary in the room grimaced, because we all felt our Moms flipping out-it was pretty funny!) I came to Conference with questions, and I got answers to my questions and more! God truly was speaking to me and to every other seeker of truth in that Conference. I also got that being politically correct is a worldly endeavor. So look out, Boston! haha
I have begun an in-earnest study of Doctrine and Covenants Section 4, which is the basic requirements and qualifications to preach the Gospel. To Chris specifically and all others who are preparing to serve, I offer this counsel: study this section til your brains fall out, and then do it again! President Joseph Fielding Smith is on record for saying that this section is (and I paraphrase) as broad and deep as eternity, and that it contains enough material for a lifetime of study. The more I read and learn, the more I am simply blown away by the complexity and beauty of this short passage.
I hope this finds you all well and may God bless us all in our endeavors!
With much love,
Elder Alex Boone
No comments:
Post a Comment