Lovin' our Elda Boone

Lovin' our Elda Boone
Massachusetts Boston 2012-2014

Monday, December 31, 2012

Brrrrrr. Soul- chilling!


Here is a picture of Elder Boone and Elder Brimhall (or Brimhulk as he is called in the mission).  They went to AFHS together.  Now they are serving in the same mission.  How cool is that?Add caption


MOM: I am plenty warm, promise.  So long as I wear a scarf, I'm just fine-it really DOES make all the difference.  Christmas was good, and the presents were much appreciated, so thanks to you and everyone else for sending them :)  I'm going to be with Herbie for New Years' Eve, so I'll be sure to tell him thanks for ya.  And more contacts would be nice, but not necessary just yet.  Maybe send me another XD Card so I can send this one home when it's full and then keep taking pictures??
DAD: Thanks for your email-I really do appreciate reading it.  How long did it take you to type it? (haha-I'm a terd, I know).  Assure Mom that I'm fine unless I tell you guys otherwise.  The actual cold isn't bad, but the wind is SOUL-CHILLING.  So long as none of that gets in, I'm fine.  Hence a scarf and nice jacket ALL THE TIME. 
FAMILY:  Thanks for all of your letters!!  I'll be sending a package with my Christmas Gift for the family and a New Years' one as well.  All the letters will be in that.  I'll try to finish up all of your letters here in the next couple of days.  Sorry for the delay, it's just busy out here!!
All right, everybody-
It's picture week!!!  So the library computers are kinda ridiculous as far as attaching pictures and stuff, so I'm gonna just send these for now.  There are SO MANY MORE, though!!!  Oh well....
This week has had its ups and downs for sure.  I've had days where I've felt great and enthusiastic, and one where I woke up feeling like I got hit in the head with a sledgehammer.  And of course, the day I felt terrible, we had to help Sister Jody Burks move.  As it would happen, moving heavy TV's and couches and stuff is actually not as bad as I thought with a pounding headache/body aches everywhere.  I think it has something to do with the service aspect of it... It HAS to, or else there's no logical explanation as to how I made it through that experience alive.  We've also had 5 cancelled appointments this week, which has been rough, and led to a LOT of street/bus/train contacting.  It's such a different experience-you just kinda walk up to people, say hi, and ask if they want to learn about Jesus (there's obviously a little bit more than that, but that's the essense of it).  I've almost placed two Book of Mormons this week, but sadly, nothing has come from it.  I'm a little bit upset that neither of them ended up coming to fruition, but I know I've just gotta keep trying. 
And the SNOW!!!  It's more like rain with some frozen-ness to it!!  Six inches of snow here in Massachusetts is more like 12 back home (although, for the record, we've only got like 4 here).  It seems like everybody told me about this "bone-chilling" wind that's prevalent here in the Boston area, but nobody quite told me about the wind that chills you to the absolute core.  I've had more than one occasion where I've gotten a brainfreeze headache from a particularly cold gust of wind.  Needless to say, every time I go outside, it takes like three minutes just to get everything on-coat, gloves, earmuffs, hat, scarf (who would have EVER thought I'd wear a scarf?  Certainly not me!!)... the list goes on and on.  The difference in being cold versus being warm is exactly that-a scarf.  It keeps the wind from getting down into your coat, so thanks to scarfs, I stay nice and warm :) 
Let's focus on a little more of a positive note, shall we?  Elder Kilgore and myself have had relative success this week-he placed a Book of Mormon and gave a referral to the Haitian Missionaries in the area.  I've continued to get better at contacting and even headed a few of our discussions.  The members here are great-they simply love Missionaries for being Missionaries.  I've made more friends and met more people here as a result of that little black nametag than I could have ever hoped to on my own.  
Spiritual thought/conundrum for the week: in Doctrine and Covenants 130:20, we read that "There is A LAW, irrevocably decreed in heaven... upon which all blessings are predicated." (emphasis added).  What exactly is that one law?  The singularity of the word 'law' is repeated in the next verse, which says that "when we obtain any blessing, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated" (D&C 130:21).  I've studied and gotten to everything around that law, but not what that Law is in and of itself?  Thoughts?  Insights?  Write me and let me know, cuz this is a tricky one....
I hope all is well and that you all have a Happy New Year!  Best of luck with all of your resolutions-remember, "with God, all things are possible" (Luke 1:37) so prayerful work towards your resolutions can make them happen!!
Much love,
Elder Alex Boone 

Here is a picture of Alex and a salmon that was given to them by a food pantry.  They love the missionaries and send them home with food all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment