Lovin' our Elda Boone

Lovin' our Elda Boone
Massachusetts Boston 2012-2014

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

December 12, 2012 Last Email from MTC


December 12, 2012

Answers for Mom's questions: if you could send me some of my ties-specifically the polka dotted one.  We can trade ties and even the ones that I'm not allowed to wear, I can trade for some that I can.  (Tie trading is AWESOME, by the way).  And my alarm clock.  The one you sent me with is sporadic as far as actually working.  Possibly a pocket watch?  Like one from Wal-Mart.  The watches I have kinda hurt my wrists when I'm writing, so it'd be nice to have something I can just pull out like I used to do with my phone.  Favorite package...?  Not sure.  They've all been great :)  There are 10 people in my District.  Schedule is packed.  Always.  Elder Sutherland is actually much better.  I'd argue that he's actually completely better.  And his address is the exact same as mine, just put "Elder Garret Sutherland" as the addressee instead of my name :) Thanks for the prayers-they were much appreciated.  I shared the greatest thing that I've learned so far-that Patrick experience was profound!!! :) haha  And the hardest part of serving a Mission has been just that-learning to love EVERYONE.  My flight departs at 9:55 on the 18th, and I'll need to be at the travel office by 6:00 in the morning that day.  And I did find the locks for my suitcase.  So we're good.
 
HAPPY 12/12/12!!!!
 
...and final greetings from the MTC!!
 
You're never gonna believe this-I'm a Zone Leader!!!  Elder Sutherland basically did such a great job at being District Leader that when our Zone Leaders left for the Mission field, he got promoted.  But joke's on me-it's a companionship thing.  So I just might be the youngest Zone Leader in the history of the Church.  To date that is.  That's prone to change come January, but I hold consolation in the hope that I've got the record for the time being.  I just might have the record for being Zone Leader the shortest, too.  I'm only gonna be in until Sunday after Sacrament.  So a week :P  Tonight is the orientation for all of the new Elders and Sisters of our Zone.  Elder Sutherland and I are going to get to show everybody their dorms, make them feel comfortable, and hopefully make them feel as loved as possible for the week that we're here.
 
Only one real problem thus far: I was playing basketball and caught a deflection funny on my finger, so now I've got some ligament damage in my right pinky finger-I just have to keep it immobilized until further notice, but the swelling and bruising has gone down significantly.  The only time I play basketball and not volleyball or something like that, I wreck my finger.  I think it's a sign to focus on other things... *DEJECTED LOOK*   But maybe that's exactly what I need.
 
This week has been truly one of the most humbling experiences of my life.  I've come to a realization of not only my own flaws and inadequacies, but how great God is.  I have been humbled beyond many of my wildest dreams due to leadership callings, Firesides we've received, and the lessons our teachers have taught.  The hope is that God has brought me low so that He can lift me higher at some point.  Not to stop me from being totally humbled, but slightly less overwhelmed with the enormity of my task.  My District has been challenged by four different teachers (we only have two that are assigned to our class) to step up.  We've been told in several different ways that now is the time for greatness; that we are not here to be mediocre.  This is the "offseason" of our training, if you will.  This is where we will grow, work, and get better.  Hopefully we start some good habits for the duration of our Mission.  I have been humbled through all of this, but also seen miracles happen in the lives of myself and all the members of the District.  It is wonderful.  Truly, the Lord "qualifies the called" and I have seen that in my life. 
 
Thank you all so much for your love and support of me and Elder Sutherland-the prayers and love has truly been felt as we strive to live this Gospel more fully and grow closer to Christ.  The letters have all meant SO MUCH and I can't wait until I'm actually in Boston to serve the Lord's children there!  Speaking of Boston, my next e-mail will be from Boston, in about a week and a half.  Also, if any of you are writing me other letters, either mail them NOW or wait until next week when my new mailing address is posted on the blog; otherwise, we could lose some mail and I'd feel terrible.  Know that I love all of you and cannot express fully in words how much I am grateful for your love, support, and influences in my life. 
 
Love,
 
Elder Boone
 
PS-Sorry this one's shorter.  I'm technically typing without my finger brace on (BAD juju), and my pinky's hurting me quite a bit.  Luckily it's been a slow-ish week-still working on loving others like last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment