First off, I want to acknowledge the people who have sent me letters/packages recently. Though I don't have a lot of spare time to thank you all personally, I want to make sure that y'all know your support is appreciated. Thanks to Ben Hodson and Cindy Sullivan for letters and packages. Y'all are the best, and thank you so much!
This week was absolutely crazy! Elder Motes and I did a lot of work, got 11 media referrals, and had some WEIRD interactions with people on the bus. My favorite, though, was this Unitarian lady. Among other things, she said that they believe the Fall of Adam and Eve was not planned. As we walked away, Elder Motes turned to me and said, "Wait a second. You mean to tell me that the all-knowing, omniscient God of the universe, didn't see that one coming?" I almost lost it laughing in the middle of the bus station. Needless to say, "Work hard, play hard" is of more force than ever :)
We had some pretty wild food this week. During some random dinners/lunches, we ate food from Haiti, Nigeria, and Cape Verde. Plus there was Conference, and we ate SO MUCH!!! We had ribs, baked macaroni, rice/chicken/broccoli casserole, and tons of cookies. My trend of losing weight ended with a 3-pound weight gain this weekend :P
On a fairly sad note, one of our Zone Leaders, Elder Breach, had to go home this last week for surgery. This created a problem, in that we need two Zone Leaders. The Spanish Elders (our roommates) were in a trio, and Elder Stones got pulled out to Brookline to be a ZL. Our apartment dynamic is so different now, and we definitely miss the guy. But he's not too far away, and it makes reporting much more fun :) haha
Conference was absolutely incredible, and I can't say yet that I have a set favorite talk. I'm gonna need at least a week or two to look through some of the talks that I particularly enjoyed and find a "favorite." It's going to be difficult, because this Conference really was just phenomenal.
President Packard has been asking us to learn more about the Atonement through certain chapters in the Book of Mormon. He compared understanding the Atonement to climbing a rope, and explained how we need some knots in order to move onward and upward. President gave us a list of some "Knot Chapters" to read, and I have been amazed at how much I have learned.
One thought that really struck me this week has to deal with Christ's statement, "With what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." (Matt. 7:2) But in our efforts not to judge, when we extend mercy to others, how is justice satisfied? In Alma 42, Alma asks, "What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice?" He answers emphatically, "I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God." Ultimately, justice-the consequences for actions-must be carried out. I turned my attention to the earlier verses in the chapter to find an explanation. "And now, the plan of mercy could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice." I was reminded of the basic doctrine of all Christianity: that Christ took the consequences of our negative actions on Himself, so that both justice and mercy could be satisfied. If we are to be true disciples of Christ, then perhaps in token symbolism of the Savior's sacrifice for us, in order to extend mercy to others, we may have to accept the consequences for others' actions. But as we do, we can justifiably expect to have mercy extended to us in the Final Judgement, for it is the merciful who obtain mercy. This honestly changed the way that I speak with and think of others. In addition to the instructions given at Conference, I feel an obligation to be more kind and loving and merciful to those around me. This was a significant breakthrough for me, and I really wanted to have it recorded and shared, so that I can never forget it.
I love all of y'all, and hope things are going well on the home front! Keep on keepin' on, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for all of your love and support. It means the world to me, and I want all of y'all to know that.
-"Eldah" Boone
No comments:
Post a Comment